Saturday, October 04, 2014

The Trouble with Fair Isle

Oh, Dear Readers, I turn to you in my time of trouble... what in the world is wrong with my fair isle knitting!?!?



Here - I present Exhibit A - the actual issue.

As you can see, between my P and A on the lower side - the yellow is sticking out! I did the floats above and around those that are peeking out the exact same way as the ones that are peeking out.

So why in the frackin' world are the ones sticking out. And to boot - its like this randomly around the whole hat.

It's very frustrating.

I used this video as a tutorial on how to carry floats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDGR2NM9-Q

 The blue is not peeking through any of the yellow although I will admit, the stretch on the hat makes the yellow look crappy. I said it... crappy. It makes it look crappy. Even worse - I want to join in an MKAL that will require me to do a lot of fair isle and quite frankly, I'm not sure I want to ruin the yarn.

So... how I did the catching of the floats is this - I would knit the first color after the color change and then the next stitch, if it was the same color I would catch it in the fashion explained in the video I linked above. Then knit, catch, knit, catch in the same fashion until I did a color change. The first stitch of the color change would be a regular knit, then the next a catch - so on and so forth.

Please - if you know what is wrong or you have a video/written tutorial reference - send it my way via the comments. If you post a link, I'll have to approve the comment (and I will) but just know that if it doesn't post the comment immediately, that's what it is. I am asking for your help - I don't know what I'm doing wrong and any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I will say though, my floats look fine as brandy and wine!





0 comments:

Post a Comment