Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fiber Fits

Admittedly, I am amidst a fiber artist temper tantrum. Its the silent type because who wants to see a 38 year old woman pout over not being able to participate in a MKAL (mystery knit-a-long for all you non-fiber folks out there who may have stumbled upon my blog).

As of the last few months, I have been trying to knit and crochet from my stash. A few yarn purchases have
My Messy Yarn Room (main stash)
been made to top of certain projects, but that's about it. I think 2 balls of sock yarn are about my only "non necessity" purchases I've made in the last 6 months... and by "non necessity" I mean - it was needed. The yarn was awesome, I didn't have it and I wanted it. Therefore - it was a necessity purchase.

This yarn diet is self imposed. The Man really doesn't care - heck he benefits from my little fiber addiction. I don't have to not buy yarn when I see it, but I'm just trying to knock down what I have to make room for what I don't have.

About a month ago, I ran across a MKAL honoring Marie Curie ... wha wha whaaaaa? Science, Math and Yarn. That is a triad of awesomesauce right there! (ok, I threw in the Math because its part of the forum, not necessarily the MKAL - but that's just how my mind works)

Here is a link to the Ravelry Group, just in case you are interested.

Anywhoozles - so here I am thinking I'm going to get in on the action early on. I head to my stash and dig. And I dig. And I dig... and I come up with NOTHING. Nadda. Not a darn thing. I need two light weight yarns, sock weight would probably do because I knit so tight, to give me a gauge of approximately 9-10 stitches per inch. Two colors are necessary - and knowing the mittens the host creates, I know the colorwork will require two extremely contrast colors so the pattern will show up. I have all sorts of self striping and variegated colors but not real solids. I have a soft heather grey - nothing to go with.

So perhaps I shall check my favorite local yarn store... Nadda. He was in the same boat I am in - lots of colored/variegated yarns, but no bold solids.

I go online but sheesh - shipping stinks for 4 tiny skeins of yarn (at this point, let me mention that I am somewhat of a cheap skate). So... no ordering unless I have a coupon or am able to order with several other people (the yarn group I meet with weekly sometimes does that - but not at this very moment). I am such a naysayer on shipping that I actually checked Amazon.com to see if there were any nice yarns covered under my prime membership ... nadda there as well.

So now, here I sit - the MKAL has officially started and they are moving into the second clue. I'm looking at the spoiler pictures because apparently not only am I a shipping fee naysayer and  cheap skate, but I am also a bit of a fiber masochist. There are some absolutely gorgeous mittens being worked up and I want to be one of those people - but I have no yarn.

Looking for the silver lining - at least not having yarn for the MKAL has forced me to continue focus on the Christmas crafting... 

(Granted, this weekend we are going to head over to a couple other yarn stores nearby and I'm going to look there - they are larger than the one here in town so there is a good chance I'll find my yarn. Silver Lining Adverted.)

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Aw, totally understand what you're going through!!

Florence said...

You poor thing! I would offer to send you some of mine but mine isn't solid either. I have lots of sock yarn but they either have long or short color repeats so that won't work. Search in Destash on Raverly and see if anyone has some to sell with free shipping

Emily B. said...

I love your blog.

Crochet Cauldron said...

I totally understand! I've tried several times to only work from my stash but always fail!

Post a Comment