Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WIP Wednesday

Its that time again - WIP Wednesday.

I did end up finishing the crochet wrap that was originally started for my youngest daughter, Squirt (which was too big for her AND Rabbit... making it default to yours truly). I'm not liking it. I don't know if its the yarn choice or what, but the finished project is really stiff. Now - keep in mind that as I was working on it, the resulting fabric seemed to flow fairly nicely - it wasn't until I put it on that I realized just how stiff it really was.

BUT this post isn't about finished objects gone bad, its about my works in progress, or WIPs.



Aside from the Navajo, which I have made no progress on in the last week, my other WIPs are knit projects, which is somewhat surprising. Granted, with the Navajo on the hooks and just finishing up the wrap, it makes sense that I'm trying to escape the hook for a few days.

First up for bid (ok, not really) is the headband I'm making to match my scarf. I really like how its working up although the patch of grey seems to be never ending. Don't get me wrong, the scarf has a patch of the grey and white too, but because the scarf is wider, it isn't quite as long as it is here... and I'm no where near the next shade change.

I really did think I'd have it worked up by now. It really is a faster knit ... I just haven't dedicated all my time to it. That crochet wrap took away from it ....

The second item is new. I purchased the Paton's lace yarn last week and have been eyeballing various shawl patterns. Well my friend, A-with (she knows who she is) is a shawl junkie. Seriously, readers - she LOVES her shawls (and no surprise - I love her shawls too!). She has tossed a few awesome patterns my way for some of the really nice freebies on Ravelry that would work good for the yarn I got. In the midst of all this, she also gave me 2 skeins of Knit Picks Stroll Multi yarn. She wasn't a fan of the color but I thought it was rather striking.

So with the yarn in hand, I decided that before I tacked a lacy shawl with my lace weight yarn it may be a good idea to even try something somewhat lacy. The yarn A-with gave me would be perfect for a closed shawl - so I went for the pattern Pimpelliese. I'll do more of a write-up on it later on.

So, I got started last night and realized I was sucked in by the safety of thinking every "k yo in " ended in "front and back" ... what I found out on my third repeat is a couple slid in that just said "k yo in back"... I was creating extra holes and extra increases in the rows. So... I tore it out and started again. This is what I have right now: 4 full repeats of the 12 row pattern.

Not too shabby if you ask me.

I will say the green in the yarn is a bit more prominent. I think it would have been nicer if the green was more one of the accent colors and either the blue or purple were the main.

So I know this is supposed to be my crochet blog, but right now my WIPs are all on the needles. Apparently, other than the Navajo, I'm giving my hooks a bit of a break. But then again, the hook on the Navajo is getting a break too - I needed to take a little vacation from that massive blanket.

So I'm curious - what do you have on your hooks and needles? I know I'll be headed over to Tami's Amis blog tomorrow to go through all the links posted there - please feel free to go there to post your own WIP Wednesday OR read through others who have also posted.

Enjoy your day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment