Sunday, July 29, 2012

Year of Projects 2: Week 3

Project Percentage Complete: 34%
Overall Percentage Complete: 34%

Number of Project Items: 105
Number of Added Items: 1
Total Items: 106

Total Completed Items: 36


Whelp - the big news of the week is that I finished the beast-ghan - it is done done DONE. I do need to wash it and lay it out but I haven't gotten that far yet. I still call it done because there are no hooks or needles or tails anywhere near it. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

I finished the Dead Fish Hat on Friday, which was pretty cool.

DC, my son, did walk in on me Thursday night as I was working on it. Squirt had a sleepover, so she and her friend were being very loud. DC came sauntering out wrapped in his blanket and sleep in his eyes saying "I was just about ready to be totally asleep and you guys are TOO LOUD" - I got a little stern with him and told him to go back to bed all the while trying to shove the fish hat out of sight without any stitches sliding off the needles (which I was successful at). I don't know if he saw it or not but I did apologize for being so short with him last night. The girls really were being loud and they should have been in bed too.

I added a new item to the list - its a bag. I saw it on Debi's blog called "Hooks and Yarn" - which is always an enjoyable read. She posted a granny bag she made along with the pattern. I'm thinking Rabbit would really like it, especially if I did rainbow stripes separated by black. Even if I don't go rainbow, really bright colors separated by black stripes. I think it would really pop. Maybe a cloth with peace signs on it to line the bag? I dunno. But - I do think she'd like it. She likes big floppy bag purses with one huge compartment... if she doesn't like them then she needs to stop carrying them - amiright?

I was thinking of swapping out one of the afghans for the bag but really, the work effort is no where near the same. And even if the afghan isn't done by Christmas, I can make it a project for next year and just start with the squares now and see how they work out in the end - using the bag for the Christmas present.

I moved another item up to the "in progress" list on Friday as well. After giving DC his hat I couldn't have idle hands so I decided to begin the lapghan for the grandson as his Christmas present.

He absolutely loves super heroes so I think he'll enjoy a Spidey-inspired lapghan. I had a bit of a false start because I had put way too much black into the blanket. After about 12 rows, I ended up tossing that. I have started again, and this time I think I'm going to like it a lot more than attempt #1.

So far so good. I have finished several rows with the help of the Olympics.  I started it during the opening ceremony and should have it done by the end. Of course I didn't join the Ravellenics because I didn't know where I would be on the beast-ghan - but as we all know, I'm done with that so I'm missing out on the fun. *shrugs* That's ok though - I'll play along on my own *smiles*

Just because I can show you fun pictures from my household, here is a picture of our 15 year old cat in the water bottle box - because somehow this makes a great bed (and a great surprise spot for the dog ... every 2 hours... when he gets shocked and starts barking and she comes out hissing.... yes, very fun at my house)





Project List Items (not started/in progress)

- 4 knit/crochet cloths for Mom (Christmas present)
- 17 squares for SIBOL 
- Spidey-colored Round Ripple Lapghan (Christmas present)



- Shawl (gift for the fall/spring for DD2)
- 5 knit/crochet cloths for SIL (Christmas present)
- 10 crochet knockers for donation
- 5 pet beds for donation
- 10 chemo caps for donation
- 2 swiffer covers (for me!)
- 1 swiffer cover for Mom (Christmas present)
- 1 swiffer cover for SIL (Christmas present)
- Knit a Sweater for the Man
- Knit Wingspan Shawl
- 1 pair spat warmers (Christmas present)
- Woven Blocks Crochet Quilt
- Navajo Indian Multi-Color Afghan (Birthday gift)

- Room Shoes (Christmas gift)
- Amimono Kimono (for me!)

Project List Items (done)
- 33 squares for SIBOL
- 1 knit/crochet cloths for Mom (Christmas present)
- State Fair Afghan
- Dead Fish Hat (Birthday gift for DS)

Added Items (not started/in progress)
- Striped Granny Bag (Christmas present for Rabbit)

Added Items (done)
(none yet)

---------------------
This post is part of the Ravelry Group "Come Blog-A-Long" #yearofprojects Project. If you are interested in joining along or finding other posts similar to this one, visit the group on Ravelry.



14 comments:

Ruth said...

Really thrilled to hear your beast ghan is done, I'm still intrigued how your going to block such an item. Love the fish hat and the bag looks cute. Love how the spiderman themed ghan is going so far.

Jen @ Baby IS Boss! said...

That hat is cool.  Can't wait to see your Spidey ghan finished.  I know a little one who would love that.  He's got a spiderman themed room.

Cris said...

 I'm going to see how easy it will be just to wash it and find a spot to lay it out flat to dry... not sure - but gonna try. That was at the advise from someone in my yarn group who does a lot more larger afghans than I. She even suggested just steaming it since the squares were laying so evenly.

Cris said...

In case you are interested, I'm using the linked pattern but the row color suggestions found here: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/patterns/spidermanroundrippleafghan.html - I may or may not use their method of the black bars tho - I'm thinking surface crochet instead.

Shateen Lichter said...

i was going to do Ravellenics, but decided not to enter anything, just focus on a few things during the time frame. so let's have our own challenge :0) i love that afghan, i really should make it for my nephew! 

mary (nauget bluff) said...

I really don't understand why people spend lots of money on cats bed...my cats love cardboard boxes the best..I saw the hat on Friday..gotta have one!

Cris said...

 I'm gonna try to knock out this afghan by end of Olympics - sounds like a great challenge to me :)

Cris said...

 I don't get it either - my cats just kinda lay whereever... granted, I like keeping them off the furniture when I can... and it seems a water bottle box works wonders hehehe

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

You can still join in if you want :).  Any project you start during the games can count.  I love the Dead Fish hat and both afghans!

Sly4100 said...

Dead fish hats are my favorite! LOVE!!! 

Laura said...

Congrats on getting the beast-ghan done! And good luck with the blocking - sounds like it could be a tricky one.

The fish hat is awesome too :) 

Sandra Licher said...

Oh my!  You got lots done!  I thought I was doing well but I am so slow compared to most.   Your big white afghan is beautiful!  What an heirloom.  The fish hat and it's owner are so cute!  You're very inspiring! 

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

The beastghan is gorgeous, I'm so glad you got it finished in time! And the fish hat is very cute.

misty said...

yay for finishing the beast=ghan. Blocking scares me. I don't know why. The fish hat is super cute. I'm with DC, a houseful of noisy girls Need to go to bed. great week!

Post a Comment